9th May 2022
Bite-sized business news from the UK and beyond
Good morning WhatsApp users across the globe are being treated to a raft of new features. The messaging app announced a blockbuster new release which includes being able to create emoji reactions, send much larger files and – for the very popular – create groups of over 500 people.
- New owners agreed for Chelsea
- Morrisons and Asda-owner compete for McColl’s supermarket
New owners agreed for Chelsea
- A group of investors led by Sir Martin Broughton, the former chairman of Liverpool FC and sports stars Lewis Hamilton and Serena Williams.
- Consortium of ex-players, including John Terry, as well as British entrepreneurs and fans.
- British billionaire and owner of chemical company Ineos, Jim Ratcliffe, who probably didn’t help his case by submitting his bid weeks after the deadline.
- £2.5bn for the shares will go towards charitable causes.
- £1.75bn in further investment in Chelsea’s stadium and training academy.
- Barring them from paying dividends or management fees until 2032
- Prohibiting sale of any shares in the club for 10 years
- Agreeing to strict limits on the level of debt taken on
Other stories to keep you in the loop
- House prices hit new record but growth set to slow
- British Airways cuts flights as it struggles to rehire after axing 10,000 staff
- EasyJet to tackle staff shortages by removing seats from planes
- US job creation beats forecasts despite headwinds
- Peloton reportedly looks to sell up to a 20% stake amid struggles
Morrisons and Asda-owner compete for McColl’s supermarket
Stat of the day
A recent survey found the average Brit is sitting on £2,500 of unused household items
Interesting links from around the web